"Flash drive" or "flash drive" - how right? How to write correctly: "flash drive" or "flash drive"?
Flash drive or USB flash drive - how right? Almost every modern person asked this question at least once. But in order to get the right answer, you need to familiarize yourself with certain rules of the Russian language, which relate to the spelling of the letters "e" and "e".
How to write - "flash drive" or "flash drive"? The problem with the correct answer is that if we follow one rule, then we must write the letter "e", and if we follow the other, "e". It is this inconsistency that makes a person think about the correct spelling of the word "flash drive". Let's try to solve this problem and get acquainted with the basic rules for writing the letters "e" and "e".
The letter "e" is not at the junction of morphemes in the root of foreign words
Perhaps, it is with the help of this rule that we will determine how the word "flash drive" is written. So, "e" is used:
- in the unconditional beginning of the word (egotourism,evolution, acquiring, existential, copy, eclair, ecu, ecology, exclusive, ecstasy, express cafe, extrovert, elevator, erythrocytes, ex-champion, electroinductive, epochal, endocrine, etc.);
- after vowels in undisguised syllables (Venezuela,aeration, duet, Kalanchoe, influenza, Cornish, maestro, lyues, maestoso, poetics, muezzin, Pre-Raphaelites, spirituals, statuette, Puerto Ricans, Tower, Oued, Schopenhauer, fuete, etc.);
- after hard consonants (blackout, rem, vice-mayor, Gaelic, geg, kendo, laptop, cat, Manhattan, city hall, Maine, minivan, racketeer, netsuke, rley, sensei, sandwich, taekwondo, udage, Thatcherism, etc. ).
The letter "e" at the junction of morphemes in foreign words
"Flash drive" or "flash drive"? The letter "e" in foreign words is written:
- in the post-prefix position (demulsification, emotional, dielectric, coenzymes, co-evolution, re-evacuation, superelite, subequatorial, re-export, etc.);
- in complex and complex words afterbasis, which ends in a vowel (bioecological, antielectron, veloergometer, cryoelectronics, epic, lyric-epic, meningoencephalitis, macroeconomics, metaethnic, neoendemic, multi-screen, polyethylene, television, ultra extremism, stereoscreen, etc.), as well as in words ending in - edr (octahedron, polyhedron, hexahedron, etc.);
- in complex and complex words afterthe basis that ends with a consonant (demecology, bromethan, quintessence, counter-enamel, color-equivalent, laminectomy, medical examination, label squadron, no-etiquette, rhythm-and-blues, panellism, etc.).
The letter "e" in foreign full and letter abbreviations
Such words are written according to the names of the letters of the source language. For example, the word "en-en" is written with the letter "e".
The letters "e" and "e" in foreign words after the vowels
Writing the letters "e" and "e" is determined by such rules:
- After the vowels "e" and "and" we write "e". For example: registry, gena, extravaganza, hygiene, diet, sharp, siesta, realtor, fiesta, spaniel. Words that end with "-ent" are written with the letter "e". In some cases, it transmits the percussion vowel (client, entrant, coefficient, patient, ingredient, etc.). In certain words "e" is intended for transmission of unstressed vowel: leer, fan, Jesuit, player, hieroglyph, Jesuit, hierarchy, pyelite, myelitis, trire, piety, requiem.
1. After "e" can be written "ye". This refers to the words fireworks and conveyor.
2. Some proper names contain the letter "e", which is written after "and": Glier, Marietta.
- "E" is written after the letters "a", "o", "y", "yu". The letter "e" in the word conveys a vowel under stress: duet, duel, minuet, maestro, poet, pirouette, poem, poetry, statuette, silhouette. Also written with "e" words that have the initial part of the "aero-": the airfield. The letter "e" conveys a vowel without stress: a canoe, a firewall, a lyues, a coefficient, a maestoso, a phaeton, a muezzin, a fuette. And also in their own names: Wales, Puerto Rico, Hemingway, Laertes, Aelita, Maugham.
Exceptions: in such words "e" is written:
1) project, project, projector, projection and other crocheted;
2) introjection, trajectory;
3) in words with the ending "-er": gaer, buer, interviewer, fraer, etc.
In addition, the letter "e" is written in words that have "-edr" as the second part, regardless of the previous letter: octahedron, hexahedron, rhombohedron, tetrahedron, polyhedron, trihedron.
Spelling "e" in Russian words
According to the rules of the Russian language, the letter "e" is written only in the following Russian words: this, e, etak, such, ek, eki, eh, hey, eva, ehma, ege.
The letters "e" and "e" after the solid consonant
"Flash drive or flash drive" - how right? After the consonants, not at the beginning of the root, the letter "e" is written with the purpose of conveying the vowel "e" and indicating the hardness of the consonant standing in front in such cases:
- In some foreign words: master, mayor, peer, plein air, rap, racket, sir. Also in words derived from the words just listed: peerage, mayor's office, racketeer. If there are other words in which the "e" is written after the consonants, then they are regulated by a spelling dictionary.
- In the large list of own names of foreignOrigin: 1) in personal names and surnames - David, Bacon, Deng Xiaoping, Salinger, Rambo, Davis, Sam, Rayleigh, Sasson, Teffi, Thatcher; 2) in the geographical names - Ulan-Ude, Taipei, Yellow River, Maryland. Also, "e" is stored in derived words from their own names and when they are converted into coding: Rayleigh, Ulan-Ude, Sasson, etc.
- If the word is written with the letter "e", then it is also written after adding a prefix to it: save, from the exam.
- Another letter "e" is written in abbreviations and complicated words: NEP, political economy.
"Flash drive" or "flash drive"? In other cases, after consonants, "e" is not written at the beginning of the root. But all the same, in foreign words that are written with "e", the consonant before it is sometimes pronounced firmly. So, in such words is written "e" after the letters that convey the solid consonant: dandy, baby, model, delta, cousin, eczema, slang, inertia, businessman, phonetics, rugby, chapel, dispensary, rating, setter, parterre, cottage , pace, stand and many others.
The letter "e" is written in indeclinable nounsnouns after consistently written consonants: chimpanzee, meringue, macrame, pince-nez, resume, tour, corrugation, coupe, puree, cabaret, dash, fricassee, essay, highway, variety show, cafe, karate, decollete.
In addition to the cases listed, "e" is written inforeign words with the suffix "-essa": poetess, baroness, stewardess. And also in some of their own names: Nehru, Carmen, Brem, Roerich, Taylor, Dantes, Saint Gothard, Delphi.
The word "flash drive" how to write? Let's sum up the results
Having studied the above rules, we canto draw a conclusion, how correctly the word "flash drive" is written. Using a rule that says that in words of foreign origin, after a consonant that sounds firmly, the letter "e" is written, we can say that in this word the "l" consonant sounds solid, so it seems like how to write the letter "e". But we know that there are exceptions to this rule, and after a solid consonant can be written "e".That is, it turns out that you can write a word"Flash drive" with "e". So, we get a contradiction. All the same, "flash drive" or "flash drive"? We see that our word does not apply to the basic words (peer, mayor, rap, etc.), which write "e" after a solid consonant. Therefore, we recommend that in connection with the widespread prevalence of this word in Russian speech, which is associated with the rapid development of information technology, still write the word "flash drive" through the "e". After all, even if you study well-known search engines, you can see that the word "flash drive" is always written with the letter "e". If you still need to explain the spelling of the word "flash drive" with the letter "e" based on the existing rules, then you can rely on some sources that claim that in Russian and foreign words, after the consonants are written "e", but the words peer, sir, etc., are an exception.