How many nuclear power plants in Russia?
Currently, the share of electricity generated at nuclear power plants, is 16% of the total amount of electrical energy produced in the Russian Federation. In the medium term, it is planned to bring this figure up to 25%. How many nuclear power plants in Russia are engaged in the production of electric energy?
10 nuclear power plants
- Balakovo NPP is located in the Saratov region near the city of Balakovo. It was commissioned in 1985. 4 power units. One of the most modern and largest energy enterprises in the country. Electric power station is the cheapest among all thermal power plants and nuclear power plants in Russia.
- Beloyarsk NPP is located near the city of Zarechny, Sverdlovsk region. The commissioning year was 1964. The unit with a fast neutron reactor (the only one in the world) is operated here.
- Bilibino NPP is located in the Chukotka Autonomous Region near the town of Bilibino. Commissioned in 1974. The number of power units is 4. At the station, besides electric energy, heat is generated for heating Bilibino.
- Kalinin NPP is located on the Udomlya River (125 km from Tver).Commissioned in 1984. Currently the construction of the 4th power unit is underway.
- Kola NPP is located near the town of Polyarnye Zori, Murmansk region. Commissioned in 1973. The main electricity supplier for Karelia and the Murmansk region. Recognized as the best nuclear power plant in Russia in 1996-98.
- Kursk NPP is located near the town of Kurchatov, 40 km from Kursk on the left bank of the Seim River. In 1993-2004 power units have undergone a radical modernization. Currently, nuclear power plants have the highest level of reliability and safety.
- Leningrad NPP is located near the town of Sosnovy Bor. The commissioning year was 1973. At the station, 4 power units each with a capacity of 1000 MW are currently in operation.
- Novovoronezh NPP is located near Novovoronezh. Commissioned in 1964. Currently, 2 of 5 power units have been commissioned and 2 are under construction.
- Rostov NPP is located near the city of Volgodonsk. In 2001, 2 power units were commissioned, 2 more are under construction.
- Smolensk NPP is located near the city of Desnogorsk. It was commissioned in 1982. It consists of 3 power units. 30% form the budget of the Smolensk region.
These are operating nuclear power plants, in Russia 6 more nuclear power plants are being developed, 2 of which are floating.