How to check vodka?
If you believe the official statistics, then of all alcoholic beverages vodka is most often forged, which, however, is not surprising, because vodka still remains with us the most popular alcoholic drink, therefore, it can be quickly and easily sold. In addition, for the manufacture of vodka surrogates, unlike wine or other alcoholic beverages, no dyes, flavors and flavorings are required. Technical alcohol and water are all simple components of this “production”, which makes it a very, very profitable business.
How to avoid the acquisition of such fakes? How to identify vodka produced illegally? Is it possible at home, without resorting to the services of a specialized laboratory, to check the quality of the vodka already purchased at the store? These three questions are most often asked by buyers who want to put on a festive table a really high-quality product, and not a masterfully crafted fake. We will try to answer each of them in more detail.
Where and how to buy vodka
- Try to buy vodka in specialized chain stores that have proven themselves in the market, or in large supermarkets - there is less risk of running into a fake. Such stores, as a rule, value their reputation and sell goods only from official suppliers or manufacturers.
- Do not hesitate to carefully examine the bottle of vodka before buying. Check whether the cork is well screwed in, how the label is pasted, if it has a well-printed date of filling and batch number. Pay attention to the quality of printing labels - a clear bright print, high-quality paper, stamping, holograms - all this indicates the legal origin of the drink.
- Remember that the minimum price for a half-liter bottle of vodka is 170 rubles. If the bottle is cheaper, then it will be better to refuse to buy it, despite the temptation of cheapness.
- Now the last tip on how to check vodka before you buy. Shake the contents of the bottle in a circular motion of the hand. If inside the liquid a vortex of small bubbles is formed, stretched into a spiral "snake" - you have a real vodka.The presence of large, randomly moving bubbles indicates the dubious origin of the drink.
How to check the quality of vodka
- Opening the bottle, bring the neck to the very nose and take a deep breath. Sniff, no extraneous "chemical" odors (acetone, formaldehyde, etc.) should be felt from the bottle.
- If at home you have accurate electronic kitchen scales, weigh the bottle, pour the contents to the last drop in the decanter and weigh the container. Subtracting from the first result of weighing the second one can find out the exact weight of the contents. Remember that half a liter of real quality vodka should weigh exactly 476 grams. Serious discrepancies with the check figure indicate fraud.
- Pour some vodka into the cap, warm it in your hands and lightly light it. High-quality vodka should catch fire from the first - second attempt and burn with a steady blue flame.
- Heat the copper wire in the flame of a gas burner, and immediately lower it into a glass with vodka. If in the formed vapors the smell of decaying wood is felt, then methanol may be present in the bottle.