How to clean the iron from the scale inside
Depending on the frequency of use, you need to periodically clean the iron from the scale inside. If necessary, the procedure is followed by cleansing the sole and clogged channels for steam release.
Using tap water for an iron with steamer provokes the formation of scale inside the tank. The liquid evaporates during the process, and the mineral substances contained in it are deposited in the ironing device. The rate of plaque and its layer depends on the intensity of use of the device, the hardness of water consumed. Scale deteriorates the thermal conductivity of the sole, provokes damage to things (after ironing, red stains remain difficult to remove).
To remove hard deposits, mold, rust and burns of synthetic materials, you can use specialized and household tools, the usual products located in the first-aid kit, kitchen or bathroom cabinet.
Effective folk remedies
Completely remove limescale deposits from the reservoir with the help of acid solutions. At home, they can be prepared on the basis of vinegar and citric acid.For safety, follow the instructions below, try to inhale the fumes as minimally as possible.
Carefully inspect the heating surface of the iron, paying attention to the holes for steam. If they are heavily clogged, clean them first, otherwise the caustic solution will not be able to leave the tank in the “right” and most efficient way. For cleaning, prepare cotton swabs, a syringe, and a container for draining dirty liquid.
Step-by-step action plan
- Dilute 25 grams of citric acid powder in a glass of hot water. Stir thoroughly, it is unacceptable that whole crystals fall into the iron.
- If limescale deposits heavily clogged the holes in the sole, blot them with acidic solution using an ear stick.
- Pour some cooked liquid into the reservoir through the openings on the sole, using a syringe.
- Pour the remaining solution into the container of the appliance in a standard way.
- Heat the iron as much as possible, leave it in a horizontal position for 5-10 minutes, without pulling the power plug out of the socket.
- Unplug the device from the network.
- Intensely shaking the device, let off steam over the prepared container.Be prepared for an unpleasant color spray, caustic smell and hissing.
- Rinse with clean water, use a gauze to process the cooled sole.
At the end of the procedure, check the device for any rags. Do not forget to fill in clear water. When detecting traces of lime scale, repeat the procedure several times.
Do not make the acidic solution more concentrated, even if the openings for the steam outlet have become impassable. Scrupulously process them from the outside. Too concentrated solution will damage the internal parts of the iron, which can cause absolute disrepair, even for repairs.
The method of removing lime deposits is almost identical to the previous version. The solution is prepared from table vinegar and water, combined in equal amounts. The resulting composition should be enough to fill 0.3-0.5 volume of the iron tank. Perform the procedure in a well-ventilated area at a distance of the most extended arm, so as not to inhale pungent steam.
ALTERNATIVE:Mineral carbonated water can be used instead of lemon and vinegar solution. In its composition there is an acid, the activity of which is sufficient for splitting lime deposits.
Specialized Purchased Chemistry
Manufacturers of irons rarely take into account that not every user has at home distilled, filtered or distilled water to fill the appliance. Therefore, third-party import and domestic companies produce specialized chemicals for cleaning water-consuming equipment from lime and carbon deposits.
Popular means of cleaning the iron from the scale in the home. Inexpensive, but qualitatively performs the task. According to the instructions need to dissolve in a glass of water 0.5 tsp. drug, pour the resulting liquid in the appliance. Then the following actions are performed.
- Heat the iron to a maximum in a vertical position and unplug it.
- Put the sole on a special stand.
- After 30 minutes, release the steam with softened lime deposits. Alternative: Pour the dirty liquid through the water inlet.
- Rinse the inside with clean water.
German-made cleaner, effectively removing scale and deposits in and on the sole of the iron. The composition contains additives that prevent damage to the treated surface.Used means according to the accompanying instructions.
- In 100 ml of water, add 50 ml of cleaner and stir.
- Pour the resulting liquid into the reservoir of the device.
- Put the iron in a vertical position and turn it on.
- Set the temperature mode corresponding to the ironing of natural fabrics with steam.
- After heating, disconnect from the network, put in a horizontal position on a special stand or 2 bars (pencils).
- After 10 minutes over any capacity to release steam, shaking the machine intensively.
In the line of this popular household chemicals there is a tool for cleaning irons. With a small consumption (only 50 ml) in half an hour, it will be possible to update the appliance, to return the former heating rate of the sole, radiance and smoothness of the surface. The way of use is specified in the instruction and almost does not differ from the previous one.
Apply to clean the soles of lime deposits and soot. It will help release holes for steam, which temporarily prevents the appearance of red spots on clothes. To restore the normal operation of the appliance, it will still have to be cleaned from the inside.The pencil is used as follows.
- Pour water into the tank.
- Turn on the iron, setting the desired temperature.
- Rub the heated surface with a pencil.
- Iron the old waste piece of coarse matter.
Using a pencil provokes a caustic odor, so the procedure is best performed with the window open, on the balcony or loggia.
- When discharging steam from the iron during cleaning, do not stop until all the liquid has gone.
- After the procedure, polish the sole, carefully smoothing the soft, lint-free material, such as gauze.
Built-in cleaning systems
Practically all modern irons placed in the category of the most expensive heating units are equipped with an integrated self-cleaning system. Some models have integrated lime control rods that protect against local scale formation. Recall where the instructions from your device are located, and by all means look for the contents concerning cleaning in the content.
Consider an approximate scenario of the produced manipulations.
- Pour the maximum amount of water into the tank.
- Turn on the iron by setting the maximum temperature.
- Watch the appliance: it should heat up, switch off and heat up again.
- Disconnect from the network.
- Place over a basin, bathtub or any container that is easy to clean.
- Press the button that launches the “Self-cleaning” program.
- Steam and contamination may be accompanied by intense shaking of the appliance to achieve maximum results.
- Rinse the tank with clean water.
- Wipe the cooled sole with a dry cloth.
Immediately after cleaning do not iron anything - let the device cool down. Afterwards check it on an old unnecessary thing. If necessary (for example, if the device is very dirty), the “Self-cleaning” function can be run several times in a row to achieve the desired result.
Such a mark on the iron or point in the use manual is not an advertising ploy. Many devices have cassettes with special water softening granules placed in tanks. Anti-limestone cartridges are consumed slowly, which allows keeping the iron in good condition for many years without additional cleaning.
Some models have integrated lime control rods for mechanical filtration of water. Lime deposits remain on them. The rod does not need to be replaced - it is enough to remove it from the iron once a month and lower it into any of the solutions:
After 2 hours, the precipitate on the rod will dissolve, and the latter can be rinsed with running water and installed back into the appliance.
How to clean the sole of soot
The task of cleaning the heating surface of the iron only seems easier than rinsing the inner tank. In fact, it is very important to consider what the sole is made of, since each material requires adherence to special rules of care. For many devices, the use of abrasive compounds is unacceptable. Even buying a pencil for cleaning, pay attention to whether it can be used to take care of your device.
Cleaning Teflon Coatings
Remove scum and pieces of burnt synthetics really without nerves and damage to the appliance. Yes, Teflon requires careful care, but this does not mean that it can be cleaned only with a soft cloth. Consider safe ways to clean the teflon sole of the iron.
- Acetic solution. Dampen cotton buds, discs or a sponge for washing dishes. A little effort invested in intense friction will clear Teflon.
- Baking soda. Combine it with a few drops of lemon juice and dishwashing liquid to make a mushy mass. Apply a thin layer of the mixture on the sole, and after half an hour, rinse with warm water.
- Lemon acid. Dissolve 10 g of powder in 100 ml of warm water. Wear medical or any moisture resistant gloves, moisten the flannel napkin in the mixture. Treat the Teflon surface thoroughly, paying special attention to the steam outlets.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Moisten a cotton pad with it and treat the sole. Pay special attention to the steam outlets.
- Acetone / nail polish remover. It is used similarly to hydrogen peroxide. With it, you can remove the remains of burnt synthetic, cellophane.
- Ammonia. Wipe them with the heating surface of the appliance, and then treat with warm damp gauze.
- Hydroperite. Two tablets dissolve in a glass of water before use. The resulting liquid wipe the heated surface of the iron.The procedure is performed with the window open, since there is a large amount of unpleasant fumes.
- Toothpaste (not gel). With an old toothbrush, you can gently clean the sole of not only the iron, but also a shoe or a sneaker. Do not forget to thoroughly wash off the remnants of toothpaste from the surface.
- Teflon scraper / scraper. Heat the iron to the limit and gently scrape off the teflon "assistant" contamination, softened from the heat. You can try to do it with a wooden spatula, just gently.
- Candle. The method is applicable to newly soiled soles. Candle rubbed hot surface of the iron, after which its remnants are removed with paper or cotton fabric. Prepare in advance the pan to which the meltable material will flow.
- Laundry soap. It is used like a wax candle.
- Intense friction does not mean that you need to push too much on the sole. Excessive pressure is fraught with irreversible scratches and even microcracks. Intensively - easily, but quickly.
- If dirt is found that cannot be removed by friction, make a lotion from the selected agent.You can leave the iron on gauze soaked in the prepared solution for a few hours.
Cleaning Ceramic Coatings
Ceramics and glass ceramics want the same gentle care as Teflon. Therefore, the same gentle methods as described above are applicable here. In addition, take a look at the goods of household chemicals stores - a lot of tools and accessories for cleaning ceramic products are sold. Suitable and compositions for washing microwaves.
Do not use abrasives, hard brushes and sponges. It is unacceptable to use salt, its crystals scratch the coating, because of which it is possible to completely peel it off. Use the above methods with a soft natural cloth.
Hydrogen peroxide will be able to whiten ceramics if necessary. When a layer of soot is dense or old, pour the selected agent onto the white bag, making a small puddle. Put the iron off for several hours. Nagar will “lag behind” the ceramic sole in one piece.
Cleaning aluminum coatings
Aluminum material is capricious in care, because it is prone to scratching and often sticks to synthetic materials.To remove carbon deposits and remnants of adhering fabric, you need only a wooden spatula or a plastic brush-brush after pre-heating. It is acceptable to use toothpaste, vinegar and other products suitable for Teflon coatings.
Strong contamination will help remove soda, but this should be done extremely carefully so as not to damage the material. After cleaning, iron a piece of coarse cloth to improve the result. After the procedure, wipe the surface of the iron with a woolen cloth. If there are minor scratches, paraffin wax the sole.
Steel Coating Cleaning
Steel is treated with any of the methods described. The strength of the material allows even salt to be used. For this you need:
- sprinkle fine-grained salt on white paper or dense cotton fabric. The newspaper should not be littered - typographical colors will remain on the bottom of the device;
- spend on it several times with a hot iron, checking whether the sole has cleared.
- Sometimes the steel surface has an additional coating for better sliding, so pay attention to whether it is as durable as the base material.
- If there are small scratches on the sole, mix the salt with the grated paraffin wax (wax candle) - the roughness will smooth out.
Instead of salt, you can use soda. Mix it with water to a mushy state. This is a “cold” cleaning method - without heating the iron, wipe the problem areas with your own prepared paste.
Do not exclude sulfur from the arsenal of effective tools. Take the matchbox, and with the side you are lighting the matches, rub the iron sole. After wiping with a worthless lint free cloth.
Copes well with soot scouring powder designed for dishes. It is enough to rub them with a dirty surface.
This method of cleaning the sole of lime and soot is the most time-consuming, but also, undoubtedly, the most effective. Connecting the iron to the network is not required. Carefully read the recommendations and instructions given before undertaking implementation.
- Heat-resistant capacity from 3 cm high in which all sole of an iron will be located.
- 2 small bars or even pencils.
- Citric acid - 1.5 tbsp. l
- Table vinegar - 1 tbsp. l
- Baking soda - 2 tbsp. l
- Boiling water.
- Gas or electric stove.
- In the prepared container pour citric acid, soda, pour vinegar. Everything is added in that order.
- Pour boiling water, filling 1 mm capacity from the bottom, stirring the cleaning composition.
- Place the iron steadily on the bars or pencils.
- Add boiling water to completely cover the sole, but do not touch other parts, including rubber, plastic, electrical.
- If the surface to be cleaned is too dirty, place a container on the stove and turn on the burner in the “Tomorrow” mode.
- After half an hour, remove the iron from the “bath” and gently remove the softened carbon with cotton wool.
- Rinse the inner tank.
- Dry the cleaned sole with a soft cloth.
The concentration of the solution can be increased with heavy pollution.
Good advice and pollution preventionth
Compliance with the recommendations below will help prevent premature iron breakage and accumulation of soot on the sole and inside.
- Use water specified by the manufacturer. If this is not possible, defend boiled, install cleaning filters on taps or non-reagent electromagnetic softener.
- Drain the water from the tank after each ironing.
- Occasionally iron gauze soaked in acetic or lemon solution.
- Observe the rules for using the appliance, in particular, correctly set the temperature regimes for different types of fabrics.
These simple tips will not take a lot of effort and time, but will prolong the smooth functioning of the iron. All the recipes reviewed in the article have been tested by thousands of experienced housewives, and therefore will help to effectively deal with scale and soot.